Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My Essay Topic For New Orleans

Like I stated in my previous blog, I will be heading down to New Orleans with a group of photographers from The Art Institute International Minnesota to take my Photo Essay class. We were instructed to find a topic we were interested in and to document it while we were there.
Growing up, I was surround with music. My Grandpa, a jazz musician, always was playing tunes on the piano of Duke Ellington, Count Baise, and Even New Orleans’ very own Louis Armstrong. Jazz music has always been a huge influence on me, and is a style I take with me even now as a musician myself. Because of my grandpa and his love for music, I got involved with it at a very you age, and we would listen to old 45’s on the turntable and talk about his days playing shows with jazz bands growing up. One of the most mind-blowing things to me growing up was, that my Grandpa has been blind sense he was just a young boy in single digits. Although his sight was gone, he could see better than anyone I have ever known, and could paint pictures with his piano playing and drumming better than anyone I have ever heard.
Sense I got into photography; I always known the music scene was a great place for me to be taking photographs. That is why I have chose to follow and document the New Orleans Jazz scene; What better place? In some sense, it’s the foundation of my musical interests, even though I have never been there. But I feel by taking photos and following the New Orleans Jazz scene, I will be able to go back in time and learn even more about what my grandpa has taught me, and continue a common bound that the two of us have for over 20 years.

1 comment:

Colleen Mullins said...

Curator of Southern Music, Events, IT and Website
Libra LaGrone
llagrone@ogdenmuseum.org