Friday, July 9, 2010

Heineken Product Shot

Being from a product-based city, and interning with a product-based studio, one would think that I would also be a product photographer, but I’m not. It's not that I don't like it, or cant photograph it, I just don't find myself doing it. However, I have been meaning to do some test shoots that included the use of a product, just out of the studio setting. For example, shooting a product on location with models and a concept behind it to fit more of my style of photography. Although, this is what I am intending on doing here soon, I decided to give it a shot and just set up a pretty simple table top set up to see what I could get. I only had three lights; so, already I kind of laughed at myself. Only two of them were used for this specific shot. In my history with assisting product photo shoots, I knew that more times then not, it wouldn’t be uncommon to see a photographer use up to 8 or 10 strobes on an iPod mini. So, again, me just using 2 strobes, on a bottle of beer, made me shake my head and laugh at myself a bit and think, “what am I about to do”...

After interning with a product studio, especially at the place I interned at, I felt very intimidated to even think about shooting product. Larry Callahan , the photographer I interned with, is hands down the BEST product photographer that I have ever seen. He is amazing at being creative with the simplest products, and I encourage anyone who is thinking about photographing product to check out his work!

So, this all being said, I still went on and gave it a shot, literally, and did a simple table top set up using two lights...This is what I came out with.

No comments: