Monday, June 22, 2009

Day 1



2 Hours of sleep, 2 plane rides, 2 Advil's.
But you know what? I finally made it down to the Big Easy, and let me tell you, it is Hot!!!
I'm not going to lie, my first glance of New Orleans was not exactly what I had in mind. I cant really explain what I did have in mind, but to me, it felt different. Not in a bad way, but I just had a picture in my head from all the previous videos on New Orleans and created a different image in my head of the city; if that makes any sense.

Today has been a long day of traveling, and right when we got in, we got started getting to know this city we will call home for the next nine days. We Checked into the Country Inn just about a block or so from the french quarter and made Mother's our place to eat for some po boys. It was pretty delicious. We then got onto our greyhound bus and took a two and half hour long bus tour through New Orleans and learned more about the destruction and the times of Hurricane Katrina. It was one thing to see on screen, but to actually visit the city and get a glimpse for myself was so surreal.

We are now off to meet up for our first meeting to discuss plans on how we are going to go about our projects while we are down here. Although my contacts have been slim, I'm still very optimistic about my photo essay and looking forward to the people I will meet in the Big Easy.

No comments: