Thursday, June 25, 2009

Day 3



What a day! It was another long one, but it has also been the best yet so far on this trip. We started the day off great by taking a tour of the Times Picayune, the local New Orleans newspaper with a photography staff of award winning photographers. We were able to split into groups and follow one of the staff photographers for the day. Me and two others got to tag along with Rusty Costanza. What a great guy, and he told us a lot good info along the way. One thing I will remember from Rusty is when he said, "Sometimes the best action is the reaction to the action". I thought that was a great piece of advice and made me really think about the entire environment of a shoot or place, and not just the main subject.

I have to say my favorite part of the tour was going to the New Orleans Saints training field to photograph some of the team with kids from the YMCA. Michael Lewis, from the New Orleans Saints, did an amazing job interacting with the kids and making the whole event a fun one for eveyone.

The tour ended by 4pm and we headed back to the hotel. I was a bit nervous for the fact I was lacking on photos for my project, however, after meeting up with some bar tenders on Bourbon St., i felt a lot more confident. Especially when they said they wouldn't mind me taking photos of the bands. I shot street bands, brass bands, but the best band by far for tonight had to be the Fritzel's jazz band at Fritzel's Bar on Bourbon St. The band was amazing and was packed with amazing musicians playing nothing but 100% New Orleans traditional jazz music. Below are a few photos from tonight. Hope you all enjoy, and I will be back tomorrow to post again. Until next time, peace!






2 comments:

Colleen said...

Fantastic!

Becky said...

That mustache is extraordinary!